We are looking for a part-time bookseller to join our team! Be a part of our fun and fast-paced bookstore, meet some of the country’s best authors, and use your knowledge and passion for books and reading to provide excellent customer service in Nashville’s independent bookstore for independent people. We value a diverse workplace and encourage people of color and applicants from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
Booksellers work in all areas of the store, and a great deal of time will be spent on the sales floor. The position requires physical activity, including prolonged standing, running curbside orders to customers, repetitive bending, lifting boxes, and climbing of ladders. During this time, our online business is a large segment of our sales, so booksellers are also involved in filling, processing, packing and shipping these orders. Previous retail experience is preferred but not required.
- Providing in-store and over the phone customer assistance (locating books in the store, placing special orders, making recommendations based on customer preferences, ringing up transactions)
- Shelving books and maintaining a warm and welcoming store environment, including some light daily cleaning and sanitizing tasks
- Reading new titles, maintaining awareness of trends in the book industry, and submitting monthly staff recommendations
- Assisting with a bustling calendar of author events, including events in the store and at offsite venues when we get back to in-person events
The ideal candidate will:
- Be knowledgeable about and passionate about contemporary books
- Understand the importance of providing excellent customer service
- Have excellent listening and communication skills and be comfortable interacting with customers of all ages and experiences
- Be self-motivated and proactive in identifying and undertaking tasks that need attention even in the absence of customers who need assistance
- Work well in and actively contribute to a small, tight-knit team-oriented workplace
- Be college age or older
- Be able to work full 8 hour shifts on weekdays and weekends
Candidates should submit resumes (no cover letters required) to firstname.lastname@example.org.