Full-time Children’s Bookseller
We are looking for a full-time bookseller to join our bookselling team! Be a part of our fun and fast-paced bookstore, meet some of the country’s best authors, and use your knowledge and passion for books and reading to provide excellent customer service in Nashville’s independent bookstore for independent people. We value a diverse workplace and encourage people of color and applicants from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
All booksellers work in all areas of the store, however, the ideal candidate for this job will bring particular knowledge of and passion for children’s and young adult literature to this position, and will be expected to work primarily in these sections of the store. This is a customer-facing role, and a great deal of time will be spent on the sales floor. The position requires physical activity, including prolonged standing, maneuvering around the store, repetitive bending, lifting, and climbing of ladders. Previous retail experience is preferred but not required.
- Providing in-store and over the phone customer assistance (locating books in the store, placing special orders, making recommendations based on customer preferences, ringing up transactions)
- Shelving books and maintaining a warm and welcoming store environment, including some light daily cleaning tasks
- Reading new titles, maintaining awareness of trends in the book industry, and submitting monthly staff recommendations
- Assisting with a bustling calendar of author events, including events in the store and at offsite venues
The ideal candidate will:
- Be knowledgeable and passionate about the full range of children’s literature, from board books to young adult
- Understand the importance of providing excellent customer service
- Have excellent listening and communication skills and be comfortable interacting with customers of all ages and experiences
- Be self-motivated and proactive in identifying and undertaking tasks that need attention, even in the absence of customers who need assistance
- Work well in and actively contribute to a small, tight-knit team-oriented workplace
This is a full-time position. Shifts will include evenings, weekends, and holidays. Interested candidates should submit resumes (no cover letters required) to firstname.lastname@example.org.