Part-time Bookmobile and Events Bookseller
Parnassus Books is seeking a part-time bookseller to join our bookselling team! Be a part of our fun and fast-paced bookstore, meet some of the country’s best authors and readers, and use your knowledge and passion for books and reading to provide excellent customer service as part of Nashville’s independent bookstore for independent people. We value a diverse workplace and encourage people of color and applicants from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
What’s the greater metaphor for freedom: the possibility of an unread book or an open highway stretched to a distant horizon? Why choose at all when you could live the actual answer by applying to hit the road with Pegasus, the Parnassus bookmobile — Peggy, for short!
Peggy needs a new driver and event operator. You’ll be tasked with loading her up with books and supplies, carefully driving her out to events, checking in with event points of contact, selling books to her adoring public, and bringing her home. All the logistical details will be prepared before you head out; you’ll just make the magic happen!
This position will also include working events in the bookstore and around the community outside of Peggy’s schedule. Shifts will include evenings, weekends, and holidays, and will average about three days per week. The hourly rate for this position is $12/hour.
Think you might be the person for the job? We’re looking for someone who is:
- Experienced at or interested in driving a larger-than-average vehicle: Peggy is 24 feet long by 7 feet wide, and does not require any special license to drive.
- Comfortable being solely responsible for the bookmobile during events and outings and working independently
- Friendly, outgoing, and at ease recommending books to both children and adults
- Knowledgeable and enthusiastic about a broad range of literature, especially children’s books
- Flexible in unexpected situations
- Detail-oriented and responsible
Have you got what it takes? Email your resume and cover letter to Kevin Foster at firstname.lastname@example.org. All materials must be received by March 15 in order to be considered for this position.