Filmlandia!: A Movie Lover's Guide to the Films and Television of Seattle, Portland, and the Great Northwest (Paperback)
**Book listings on our website do not always reflect the current availability of books on our store shelves. Check a book's in-store availability above the "add to cart" button. Or to be certain that a book you've found on our website is also here on our shelves, feel free to call us at 615-953-2243**
The PNW has a thriving, rich film culture, and it's finally celebrated in a guide as visually arresting and compelling as the films and television themselves!
More than 200 entries are included and feature:
• Hilarious, insightful synopses
• Behind-the-scene facts and trivia
• Regional scenic highlights
In addition, sidebars pepper the pages, covering:
• Regional filmmakers like Gus Van Sant and Lynn Shelton
• Television shows that shaped the public's perception of the region (such as Twin Peaks, Shrill, and Portlandia!)
• Documentaries, queer cinema, silent films, Vancouver-shot imposters, and more.
Colorful artwork, inspired by the primary VHS color palette of the 80s, turns this handy guide into a visual treat as well. This is a book for any cinephile, but for those who love and live in the PNW, Filmlandia! is an absolute must-have.
“David Schmader’s film writing has always been dryly funny and incisive, but it has rarely been this affectionate. This very comprehensive collection of PNW-centric film and TV capsules is for locals or tourists, hardcore cinephiles or casual viewers. Full disclosure: David once called me a "Showgirls truther.” —Matt Lynch, Scarecrow Video, cohost of The Suspense Is Killing Us podcast and YouTube’s Viva Physical Media