She Can Really Lay It Down: 50 Rebels, Rockers, and Musical Revolutionaries (Rock and Roll Women Book, Gift for Music Lovers) (Hardcover)
Book listings on our website do not always reflect the current availability of books on our store shelves. Check a book's in-store availability beneath the "add to cart" button. Or to be certain that a book you've found on our website is also here on our shelves, feel free to call us at 615-953-2243.
She Can Really Lay It Down celebrates 50 incredible women who shredded, sang, and stormed the stage with ferocity and passion. Each incredible musician in this book defied genre and social conventions to shape the music industry as we know it, but have been overlooked simply because they are women.
Sister Rosetta Sharpe, Carol Kaye, Janet Weiss, Carole King, and Wu Man are just a few of the groundbreaking musicians author and illustrator Rachel Frankel shines a spotlight on.
• Each musician is accompanied by a vivid portrait and heartfelt biography
• Readers discover new heroes and revisit familiar faces
• Features an exposed spine designed to look like the neck of a guitar
These women rock—in every sense of the word.
She Can Really Lay It Down pays homage to songwriters, performers, and musicians from every genre, inspiring a whole new generation of fearless and talented performers.
• A wonderful gift for musicians, diehard music lovers, riot grrrls, singers and songwriters, music teachers, feminists of all ages, and anyone eager for more stories about musical women
• Great book to keep out on the coffee table as a conversation starter
• Perfect for those who loved A Natural Woman: A Memoir by Carole King, Rock-and-Roll Woman: The 50 Fiercest Female Rockers by Meredith Ochs, and Gold Dust Woman: The Biography of Stevie Nicks by Stephen Davis
About the Author
Rachel Frankel plays in a band called Phosphene. She is an author, illustrator, and designer living in Portland, Oregon. This is her first book.
Amanda Petrusich is a music journalist and staff writer at the New Yorker, as well as the author of three books. She lives in Brooklyn, New York.